Rittgers & Rittgers, Attorneys at Law
Get Your Consultation Today

Do I Have Rights As A Grandparent?

In certain circumstances, grandparents do have legal rights in Ohio to custody or grandparent visitation.

A grandparent may file a complaint or petition for custody in certain circumstances and the Court will grant the petition if it can be proven that both parents are unfit or unsuitable to parent the child. This is becoming more and more prevalent with the drug epidemic in Ohio. In some cases, Children's Services is involved in a dependency, neglect, or abuse case and the grandparent can intervene into the case with permission of the Court and request the Court to grant them custody of the child. In other cases, the grandparents can simply file a petition or motion with the court to grant custody of the child to them. If the grandparents prove to the Court that both parents are unfit or unsuitable, then the Court needs to determine that it is in the best interests of the minor child that the Court grant custody to the grandparents. 

Under Ohio law, a Court can award visitation rights to a Grandparent during or after a domestic relations proceeding if the Grandparent has an interest in the welfare of the grandchild, and visitation is in the grandchild's best interests. In Ohio, grandparents can seek court-ordered visitation by statute in three circumstances: (1) when married parents terminate their marriage or separate, (2) when a parent of a child is deceased, and (3) when the child is born to an unmarried woman. In such cases, a court may order reasonable visitation if it is in the best interest of the child. Grandparents can file a motion in a divorce case seeking visitation with the grandchild, even after the Divorce has been granted, asking the Court to award them their own visitation schedule with their grandchild. Ohio courts must consider a parent's wishes when deciding whether to award visitation, and the court must also consider whether grandparent visitation would be in the child's best interest.

Unless your child is willing to agree to signing over custody or granting visitation of your grandchild , these cases oftentimes end in litigation. It is important that you discuss your rights with an attorney to determine your best course of action.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  1. Distinguished AV | LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell | Peer Review Rated For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
  2. Super Lawyers
  3. AVVO Rating 10.0 Superb
  4. Super Lawyers Rising Stars
  5. Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  6. Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  7. The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  8. The National Trial Lawyers | Top 40 Under 40

Get Your Consultation Today. Call 513-932-2115.

Rittgers & Rittgers answers its phones 24/7. Call us anytime to secure your consultation with one of our award-winning lawyers. You can rely on us for elite representation from our deliberately small, family-run law firm.

Lebanon Office
12 East Warren Street
Lebanon, Ohio 45036

Phone: 513-932-2115
Fax: 513-934-2201
Lebanon Law Office Map

Cincinnati Office
312 Walnut St., Suite 1600
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Phone: 513-932-7375
Cincinnati Law Office Map

Oxford Office
121 West High Street
Oxford, OH 45056

Phone: 513-524-5000
Fax: 513-524-5001
Oxford Law Office Map

Email Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today