What To Do After A Car Accident Or Nearby
If you feel lost and confused about what to do after a car accident in Ohio or elsewhere, you are not alone. Most people who have suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents often have more questions than answers. To ensure you take the right steps after your accident, it is important to hire experienced counsel to lead you toward your objective: fair compensation for your injuries.
The Ohio car accident attorneys at Rittgers Rittgers & Nakajima have been helping clients understand what to do after car accidents for more than 30 years. We have the experience and knowledge required to obtain full and fair compensation for individuals injured in car accidents, truck accidents and a variety of motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents.
Steps To Take After A Car Accident
There are several important steps that you can take immediately after suffering an injury in a car accident that will help protect your car accident settlement claim, including:
- Seek any necessary medical treatment: Seek treatment for your car accident injuries as you would any other injury. The goal is to obtain the medical assistance you need to get back to the place you were prior to your accident, or as close to it as possible.
- Call a lawyer: The earlier you contact a personal injury attorney, the better. A lawyer can guide you through giving statements to an insurance company, collect your medical records, document your injuries and medical bills, and begin preparing your case for trial. Without preparing a case for trial, a fair settlement will not be reached.
- Speak only to your lawyer: Do not discuss your accident with anyone but your lawyer and your doctor. Refer all calls from insurance adjusters to your lawyer. The adjuster is not your friend, regardless of how nice he or she seems.
- Save any and all evidence: When possible, take photographs of your damaged vehicle and your injuries. Keep all medicine bottles, casts, crutches, and any other objects you receive in relation to your car accident injuries.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions properly: Do not skip appointments or stop treatment until your doctor has said you have reached a full recovery.
Do Not Worry if You Have Not Taken All of These Steps
Car accidents can cause an extensive amount of stress. Even minor injuries are debilitating and disruptive to your daily routine. After a car accident, your work and family life will be affected. Most people are not sure what steps to take after a car accident.
Do not worry. If you have not taken all of these steps yet; the most important thing to do is hire an experienced personal injury attorney to assist you. Please make sure you are comfortable with the lawyer you choose.
Medical Care Tips After An Accident
At Rittgers Rittgers & Nakajima, the well-being of the people we represent is extremely important to us. Getting medical care after a car accident can be tricky, and the quest is made more challenging by insurance company tactics that could jeopardize your ability to get full and fair compensation. To help you get started, our Cincinnati attorneys provide these tips.
- Get medical care immediately: This may seem obvious, but there are situations where an injury does not seem as bad as it turns out to be. Waiting to see your doctor can not only jeopardize your ability to recover completely, but it also opens a window of opportunity for the insurance company to argue that “your injuries must not have been bad if you didn’t see your doctor right away.”
- Tell your doctor everything: Many car accident victims find themselves with multiple symptoms. Make sure that you communicate all of them to your doctor and that your doctor addresses them all. What may seem minor now may prove to be major later. We recommend writing down all of your injuries and concerns before seeing your doctor.
- Do not sign anything from any insurance company: After an Ohio car accident, you may be contacted by the other driver’s insurance company. You may also be contacted by your own insurance company about med-pay. Do not sign anything before you discuss your case with us. In some instances, it may be better to use your health insurance, rather than your auto insurance’s med-pay.
- Focus on getting better and let us do the work: We have been helping people like you for more than 30 years. Our job is to do the work and get you the compensation you need. Your job is to get better.
Advice for People Offered Car Accident Settlements From Insurance Companies
Insurance companies usually offer a cheap and quick settlement to individuals who have been hurt in car accidents. Insurance companies are out to close car accident claims as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, most injured people are in desperate need of money to pay their expenses. Please do not take a settlement before you are finished recovering from your injuries. Once you accept a settlement you will not be allowed to receive more money for your injuries even if you are forced to undergo expensive medical procedures and treatment in the future.
At the Ohio law firm of Rittgers Rittgers & Nakajima, we highly suggest that you seek legal counsel prior to accepting any car accident settlement offer from an insurance company. With more than 30 years of experience, our personal injury attorneys understand the tactics and tricks that insurance companies employ when offering settlements. Our Cincinnati lawyers can help you understand if the offer you have received is in your best interests. We are patient when dealing with insurance companies and work tirelessly in every case to optimize our client’s claim.
Do Not Wait To Contact Our Car Accident Settlement Attorneys In Ohio
We strongly urge you to hire an experienced lawyer to help you through the insurance claim process. Even if you decide not to hire one of our lawyers, hire another lawyer with a good reputation and experience in injury cases. If you are currently speaking to an insurance adjuster about a settlement, please remember:
- You usually have two years from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit in Ohio.
- Insurance companies are out to protect their own interests in every case, not yours.
- A full investigation and proper trial preparation will help you get the compensation you deserve.
In our experience, car accident settlements increase in value when the injured individual has a lawyer advocating on his or her behalf. Please contact our firm to speak with one of our lawyers if you have been injured in a car accident.
Contact Our Law Firm to Discuss Your Auto Accident Insurance Settlement Offer
While it is possible to obtain a settlement from an insurance company without the assistance of a lawyer, doing so may leave you with unpaid expenses or future medical bills. Contact our Ohio law firm by email. From offices in Cincinnati and other surrounding communities, we are ready to discuss your car accident settlement offer with you as well as other options you may have. Please call us at 513-496-0134.